The Checking and Processing Email process outlined here is intended to be a time management helper. You do not need to follow it exactly but we do work on the assumption that everyone in the company follows the same general pattern for their day.
- You are to process your email a minimum of three times per day. Morning, Noon and late in the work day.
Everyone needs to check their email and appropriately act on the content in a timely manner. This is especially true of interoffice emails. Quite often we need answers from our fellow techs to be able to proceed and a quick response means the least time lost in momentum of the work at hand.
- DO NOT camp out on your inbox and DO NOT attend to any email that pops up.
Unless you are waiting on an email for the project, activity, SR or P1 that you are currently working on, only process email when you are between tasks and have set a side time to do it.
Anything else is interrupt driven and only causes you to waste time change tasks and distracts your focus.
Checking and Processing Email
Everyone at MPI should follow the same email retention practices in some form which is to create subfolders for each client whom you need to save an email for usually under the Inbox.
When you are checking your email do not waste time with email that is not business critical to your current project, SR, or Activity. Emails such as the latest MS Partners newsletter or the latest blast from some newsletter need to be read at a more appropriate time than in between clients, when getting started in the AM etc.
This process is very simple and allows anyone to clear their mail box quickly, efficiently, and not end up with 75 unread messages containing client requests for help or information aging away.
- For each and every email in the inbox, do only one of the following actions for every email:
- Reply to it and then Delete or Move the email to another folder
- Act on it immediately and then Delete or Move the email to another folder
- Forward it and then Delete or Move the email to another folder
- Create an SR and then Delete or Move the email to another folder
- Create an Activity and then Delete or Move the email to another folder
- Just delete it
- Always enter time or notes to any related SR immediately! If you do not do it now it will get lost.
- If there is nothing but 0 time entries during the entire time you spend checking your email enter your time into an Admin time entry.
Last Update: November 27, 2018
Tell us how can we improve this post?
Log In is required for submitting new question.